Sunday, September 8, 2013

Day 2: Favorite Quote(s)

Ok so here is day 2!
and I'm super excited 
about this one
and y'all are about to get 
a little history lesson too lol!

So the person who said 
my favorite quote
was a little
13 year old 
jewish girl
who was born
 in Germany 
in 1929 to 1945
"Whoever is happy will make others happy too."

For being
only 13 
she said 
or wrote
a lot of smart things... 

She received her 
now famous diary
for her 13th birthday 
on June 12 1942
and they went into 
hiding on
July 6th 1942
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment
before starting to improve the world"

There were 8 people
all together in
the small apartment.
They were:
Otto Frank (Annes father)
 Edith Frank-Holländer (Annes mother)
Margot Frank (Annes sister)
and of course
Annelies "AnneMarie Frank.
Then On 13 July 1942
they were joined by
 the van Pels family: 
Hermann
Auguste
and 16-year-old Peter
then in November
the 2 families were joined
by 
Fritz Pfeffer
a dentist and friend of the family.
"How true Daddy's words were when he said: all children must look after their own upbringing. Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands."
After sharing her room with Pfeffer, 
she found him to be insufferable and resented his intrusion, 
and she clashed with Auguste van Pels, whom she regarded as foolish.
 She regarded Hermann van Pels and Fritz Pfeffer as selfish, 
particularly in regard to the amount of food they consumed.
 Some time later,
 after first dismissing the shy and awkward Peter van Pels,
 she recognised a kinship with him and the two entered a romance.
 She received her first kiss from him, 
but she began to question 
whether her feelings for him were genuine,
 or resulted from their shared confinement.
"Boys will be boys. And even that wouldn't matter 
if only we could prevent girls from being girls."

On the morning of 4 August 1944, 
following a tip from an informer who was never identified, 
the secret annex 
was stormed by a group of German uniformed police
"I simply can't build my hopes on a foundation of confusion, misery and death... 
I think...
peace and tranquillity will return again."

They were all taken to 
RSHA headquarters
and were held over night 
and interrogated

They were taken the next day
to the Huis van Bewaring (House of Detention)

Two days later they were transported to
 the Westerbork transit camp
through which by that time more than 100,000 Jews, 
mostly Dutch and German, had passed. 
Having been arrested in hiding,
 they were considered criminals 
and were sent to the Punishment Barracks for hard labor.
"I dont think of all the misery but 
of the beauty that still remains"

On September 3 1944
they were transferred 
from
Westerbork
 to the 
Auschwitz concentration camp
and arrived after three days.

When unloading from the train the men
 were separated from the women and children
and Otto Frank was one
of the men.

Of the 1,019 passengers, 549 
including all children younger than 15
were sent directly to the
gas chamber. 
Luckily Anne had just turned
15
three months before that.

She had noticed that 
most people were gassed
as soon as they 
arrived.

She thought since her father was in his
50's that he had been killed
right off.
(but he survived through it all
and later learned how well of record
Anne kept of everything that happened)
"Who would ever think that so much went on 
in the soul of a young girl"

On 28 October selections began for women to be relocated
 to Bergen-Belsen. 
More than 8,000 women, including Anne and Margot Frank and Auguste van Pels,
 were transported. 
Edith Frank was left behind and later died from starvation.

In March 1945 a typhus epidemic spread through the camp,
 killing 17,000 prisoners.
Other diseases, including typhoid fever, were rampant. 
Due to these chaotic conditions,
 it is not possible to say what ultimately caused Anne's death. 
Witnesses later testified Margot fell from her bunk in her weakened state
 and was killed by the shock. 
A few days later, Anne died. 
This was only a few weeks before 
the camp was liberated by British troops on 15 April 1945.
“People can tell you to keep your mouth shut, but that doesn't stop you from having your own opinion.” 


So there is the history lesson and a few good quotes.
but which one is my favorite?
None of those.
lol

My favorite quote is
just part of one

The full quote is:
"It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can't build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery, and death. I see the world gradually being turned into a wilderness, I hear the ever approaching thunder, which will destroy us too, I can feel the sufferings of millions and yet if I look up into the heavens, I think that it will all come right, that this cruelty too will end, and that peace and tranquility will return again." Saturday, 15 July, 1944, pg. 237

But the one part that has really
stuck with me for year 
is:

"in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart"

I feel like this may be one of Anne Franks most popular quotes 
but for me
I also believe people are really good
at heart.
People may say its a 
naive way to think
but
The way I help myself keep smiling
 in this bad news no gain society 
is by avoiding as much bad news as I can 
by simply turning a blind eye to it if it not my problem.

Honestly this is my favorite post
so far!
I love history
and
im glad i got to
write about a little 
part of it.

Tomorrow is Day 3:
What makes you happy.

Im going to have to think
about that one lol

Until then,

No comments:

Post a Comment